Monday, January 24, 2011

Media Anti-Military Bias

I watched thenews report of the 25th anniversary of the Challenger explosion on the news and thought to myself. I remembered that day and I remembered another just one month prior, Dec 12, 1985. 248 soldiers of the 101st Airborne Division were on board a plane bound for home. They had served 6 months in the Sinai Penisula as part of the UN's peacekeeping force between Israel and Egypt and were going home for Christmas. The plane crashed near Gander, Canada with no survivors. 248 soldiers' families received the worst news a family could imagine that day, and 25 years later only Fort Campbell and Gander seem to remember. I heard nothing on the main media, no coverage of the annual memorial at Fort Campbell, no interviews with family or friends of any of the 248 soldiers and 8 air crew members who died. I do not belittle the service of our astronauts, but I also honor the service of our soldiers. May they all rest in peace and their families be comforted that their loved ones are remembered and cherished by a grateful country, even if not by the news media.

No comments: