Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Reconquista Uno

No doubt you have heard arguments on both sides of the illegal immigrant issue. Most Americans have made up their minds or don't care. As with most political issues in the U.S., of late, once someone has decided where they stand, it takes an act of God to change their mind. And that is not always enough. God does not force His will upon us, but that's for another time.
This then would be addressed to those who don't care in hopes that they will grasp the importance of the illegal problem and its related subjects.
First, as an American citizen and an honorably discharged veteran, I am expected to obey the laws of the land. If I violate said laws, I am subject to arrest, trial, imprisonment. If there is a disagreeable law, I go through the elected officials at the appropriate level to try to get the law changed. No guarantees. I am expected to work, pay taxes, and be a productive citizen. If I become injured or unemployed, I better have had insurance or savings to help me in this time. If my job closes and moves to Mexico, I would have to lose everything I had worked for to be eligible for any government assistance.
If I am illegally in this country, I can get on welfare, get a free education for my kids, use the emergency room for medical care(forcing the cost of health care up for everyone) all in violation of the law. I can drive without a license or insurance, I can work, break more laws, go to jail and still remain in this country, illegally. As comic Yakov Smirnoff (a LEGAL immigrant) says: "What a country!" only now the inflection has changed: "What? A country?"
I work with immigrants at two different jobs. Legal at one and illegal at the other. The legal workers are industrious, polite, and anxious to obey our laws. The illegals have become surly, lazy, and more difficult to work with. Also, one illegal I know has had SIX DUI convictions and is allowed to remain in this country. Why? He has a wife and kids 'at home', but a girlfriend ,also an illegal, here who just had an anchor baby at taxpayer and insurance premium payer expense. Now, which 'home' will they claim and which one will they stay in?

No comments: